by John Santos
I was finally able to convince one of my hard line Mexico supporting cousins to come check out the US. It was also a good bonding experience with him who has since become more like a brother to me.
Landon Donovan also broke the all time US goal scoring record with his 35th goal for the US national team as the US beat Sweden 2-0.
Landon Donovan Facts
- At the age of 17, Landon was the third-youngest player to ever be called into a U.S. Men’s National Team training camp (for the USA-Argentina match on June 13, 1999).
- Landon earned “Man of the Match” honors twice during the 2002 Gold Cup.
- In 2005, English club Portsmouth made Bayer Leverkusen an offer for Landon. His German club made a deal with the Galaxy instead.
- Landon led the Galaxy in goals in each of his first five years with the club, with a low of eight (2007) and a high of 20 (2008).
- Landon surpassed Eric Wynalda as Team USA’s all-time goal scorer when he netted his 35th goal in a 2009 match against Sweden.
- Donovan earned his 100th cap for Team USA at the age of 26. He was the fourth-youngest player ever to do so.
- Landon was named to the MLS all-time Best XI after the league’s tenth season.